Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Wonderful Last Mexican Weekend!


What a weekend for the books! Friday night, Sarah and I went with the kids to rehearse for the big Aniversario party on Sunday. It was a wonderful time to spend with the kids, help out, and see all of their hard work pay off! On the way there, we crammed 29 people in a 15 passenger van! (…And that’s just the beginning of the weekend!)

Saturday afternoon, Sarah and I got the chance to go to Erin’s house to bake for the Aniversario! (Along with Fani and Pilar, a few of the older girls here.) It was so wonderful to hang out, help out, and talk about “girl stuff” on a Saturday afternoon. Thank you Erin for welcoming us into your home! Then, after many promises, Sarah and I went to the Brothers Equipo soccer game! (The older boys here have a soccer team!) I’m not quite sure how many people we fit into the 15 passenger van that day… but I can say this- it was a stinky ride on the way back!! Ps, they won! VAMOS BROTHERS! 

And so Saturday seemed like a perfect day. However, as Sarah and I were relaxing watching a movie, Jeremy came banging on our door- okay great, we got to meet Walter  (our new Canadian friend who’s here for a couple weeks!) Back to the movie… Chris calls so I stepped out of the room. Normal right? Until I looked at the floor! Almost the entire floor of our apartment was flooded with about an inch of water! Oh my gosh, it was everywhere, AND it was still downpouring outside! So, we went upstairs for help…to no avail. Sarah found a tiny broom, and I found a bath towel (not much help) and we tried to sweep the water out…Let’s just say that after about an hour and a half with not much progress, we pooped out…and went back to the movie. But seeing as the movie was bought here, it was bootlegged, and froze soon thereafter… yet another failure! By that time, we decided to call it a night and hope for a better tomorrow!  (Needless to say, my phone conversation with Chris was “rainchecked”!)
Sarah and her broom against the flood!

So, Sunday morning, Sarah and I spent a few hours ‘emptying our pool’—thanks to Walter for the help! Then time finally came for the Anniversary party! (On the way there, we fit a whopping 32 people in the 15 passenger van!!)HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY DULCE REFUGIO! The party was held at a beautiful location, and lots of important people were there. In the states, this kind of party would be a huge bore--- but not the case in Mexico! There was a mariachi band, lots of awards, performances by the kids, a few worship songs, and even a legit gourmet meal! I even got to receive an award on behalf of“Orphanos,” an organization from the States. (I was obviously chosen to receive the award of their behalf because I’m one of the few Americans here!) For the kids, they had bouncy houses and clowns and hot dogs… oh yeah, and TONS of candy! Oh my, what a day! And all throughout the party—God was being given the honor and glory for all the work He has done! God’s hand is hard at work here…and it’s easy to see that He loves to use His people to do His good work!

Below are some pics of the festivities, and a short video of one of the songs the kids were performing! (I had to zoom into the front row...cute factor!)
 
All the kids painted "medals" to give to Marce!

Some of the older girls posing with the masks they were given!

Bouncy house! (Unfortunately, I was wearing a dress... so I didn't get to jump!)

 
Our friend Valeria! (She leads worship at the Orphanage sometimes.)





2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! Ok listen, so something must be addressed here Tara:
    so, I've watched the video about 10 times. But not necessarily because of the kids....yes, they are cute...But WHAT IN THE WORLD happened at the end?!?!
    Its a whole 42 sec. of cute kids singing until a massive explosion occurs, everyone screams, and the video cuts out. It sounded like your 15 passenger van just drove through the wall of the building.
    I cant stop watching it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, oh yeah, I forgot to mention. **A confetti bomb went off just as I was about to stop videoing... NONE of the kids knew it was coming (it was a mid-song surprise!) and they all freaked a little bit too! I wish I would've kept the video running 10 more seconds!!

      Delete